Icann and new TLD's

Jason Spatafore jasons at spatafore.net
Sat Jul 5 21:25:32 MST 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 20:55 -0700, Charles Jones wrote:

> Icann, voted unanimously to relax the strict rules on so-called
> "top-level" domain names...
>
> Under the new plans, domain names can be based on any string of letters,
> in any script.
>
> Individuals will be able to register a domain based on their own name,
> for example, as long as they can show a "business plan and technical
> capacity".
>
> I wonder how long before we start seeing domains like http://nike.shoes
> and the like. I wonder how many email and domain parsing scripts this is
> going to break, especially domain names with asian and arabic characters.

Did you notice the costs associated to register the domain names ("low
six figure dollar amounts")? Exorbitant. But it would be nice to buy
jason.spatafore and have an email address of email at jason.spatafore. :)

I can't see a technical reason for not being able to do it. I would
assume it would create the same problems the .tv and .info TLD's
created...which, of course, should have been overcome by now.