SMTP auth problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jul 4 19:52:30 MST 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 19:42 -0700, Joey Prestia wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 18:05 -0700, Joey Prestia wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> On a server I am running RHEL 5.0 sendmail with saslauth for
> >> authenticated relay and recently logged in through ssh and changed a
> >> user password and now the user can not send authenticated relayed mail
> >> the password I thought might be the problem. Maybe it was stored in
> >> thunderbird e-mail client smtp password and username but I removed the
> >> users smtp account and reconfigured to use the new password but no luck
> >> So I thought that perhaps saslpassword could be the problem and not
> >> being familiar with this I thought I would ask here. Do I need to create
> >> a saslauth password?
> > ----
> > how is smtp auth configured? postfix? sendmail? what are the auth
> > details?
> >

> I am administering a e-mail server running RHEL 5 with sendmail 8.13 and
> using dovecot imap most of the users are going to need to be able to
> send mail from their laptops and i have no idea what network they will
> be utilizing. I am using saslauthd and never created sasl passwords but
> folloing the guide at http://www.joreybump.com/code/howto/smtpauth.html
> was able to get it working. now after 6 months of no problem and a
> simple user password change i cannot relay from anywhere.
>

> [root at linuxamd ~]# sasldblistusers2
> listusers failed
> [root at linuxamd ~]#
>
> is this my problem?
----
I wouldn't think so because you would have had to be maintaining the
dblist all along.

Is saslauthd running?
/sbin/service saslauthd status
or better yet...
/sbin/service saslauthd restart
then look at the bottom of /var/log/messages and /var/log/maillog to
make sure there isn't any errors.

Are all the users stored in /etc/passwd or mysql or ldap?

Craig