Semi OT: MySQL memory probs...

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Mon Jan 28 17:05:53 MST 2008

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 04:57:59PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 16:47 -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 03:59:24PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > oh oh - holy war
> > >
> > > ;-)
> >
> > I doubt it. MySQL is developed almost exclusively for Linux, based on
> > how Linux does things. It's no surprise that it runs best on Linux.
> >
> > One is *supposed* to find the app that best suits your needs, then pick
> > platform and hardware to run it properly. Supposing that MySQL was
> > picked, then it should be run on Linux for best advantage.
> ----
> I suspect Sun will want to change that paradigm.
>
> I never considered that aspect of MySQL - I don't believe that's true of
> PostgreSQL.

No, to the best of my knowledge PostgreSQL runs fine on pretty much any
Unixish system. I'm sure it runs a bit faster or slower on given
systems, but I'd be surprised to find the huge differences seen with
MySQL.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/