more quicktime vulnerabilities..updates

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Jan 24 09:27:25 MST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 00:10 -0700, Technomage-hawke wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 January 2008 21:52, Craig White wrote:
> > > the G3 doesn't. however, because I have it, any EULA hassles with apple
> > > are a bit easier to manage where I am doing VM's (linux host on my
> > > workstation and OS X Tiger for intel).
> >
> > ----
> > I didn't think it was possible to run OS X on anything but Apple
> > hardware. Was I sleeping somewhere and missed this ability? What VM?
>
> VMware 1.0.4-server for linux on an AMD x86_64 (SSE2/SSE3 instruction set).
>
> size of Virtual Ram: 1 GB
> size of VM disk: 60 GB (sparse/growable)
>
> I haven't been able to get leopard to install as yet. the patches aren't
> available for it for AMD and intel (non-apple) hardware.
>
> if you want to read up on it, I suggest insanelymac.com as a resource...
>
> also check the xos86 project too.
----
I didn't find it all that easy to search the forums on insanely.mac but
I did figure out that what they're talking about is called 'Hackintosh'
and it is easy enough to google the term 'build hackintosh' and get some
pertinent links.

I have no intention of parsing Apple's EULA on their OS X software and
accept the legality of these efforts on their face. If you purchase a
copy of OS X, then it would seem to be fair use to install it on any
hardware you see fit. I don't see how having a G3 laying around is
significant to Apple's EULA.

I guess it never occurred to me that people would actually be interested
in doing something like this but I lack enthusiasm for OS X so it's not
something that I spent a moment thinking about. I know that I am not all
that interested in hacking a non-free OS since their is an abundance of
free OS's to play with but I would guess that there would be many on the
list eager to see your setup.

Good luck

Craig