Flattening Images in GIMP [WAS: RE: how best to convert a pdf to a high-res jpg?]

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Tue Jan 22 21:09:22 MST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 19:26 -0700, Bryan O'Neal wrote:
> Also, in my opinion, if your flattening the image to a jpeg it does
> you no good to go through a complex conversion process since you will
> lose all the layers, fonts, and details anyway.

No, that's not correct.

"The Flatten Image command merges all of the layers of the image into a
single layer with no alpha channel. After the image is flattened, it has
the same appearance it had before. The difference is that all of the
image contents are in a single layer without transparency. If there are
any areas which are transparent through all of the layers of the
original image, the background color is visible.

This operation makes significant changes to the structure of the image.
It is normally only necessary when you would like to save an image in a
format which does not support levels or transparency (an alpha channel).
"

GIMP Users Manual
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-flatten.html

Dennisk