not ipcop?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sat Jan 19 20:48:56 MST 2008

I don't mean to talk you out of using OpenBSD. I do want you to know
there will be a learning curve. OpenBSD would make a very nice firewall
& mailserver. If you want to try I (and hopefully others) will help.

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 07:58:05PM -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> well, it isn't really going to be use except as a mail server and a firewall
> but if you think I should stick with Linux I'll do that.
>
> On Saturday 19 January 2008 7:35 am, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> > BSD can read and write ext2 fine. Last I checked OpenBSD couldn't do
> > ext3. But if you've got some temporary storage you can tar up the
> > contents are untar them into the new place.
> >
> > OpenBSD is my personal preference. Many people do prefer others. I like
> > OpenBSD because it's secure, pretty easy to understand once you get used
> > to where the documentation is (the man pages & FAQ, not HOWTOs), and
> > being that I'm a software developer I like the code better.
> >
> > Now that I've said all that, I have some concerns about you switching
> > from Linux to OpenBSD for something critical. First, you've spent years
> > learning and using Linux. Though Linux and *BSD are Unix-like there are
> > differences. There's going to be a learning curve. While there are
> > people here who can help (including me), we are fewer in number than the
> > rest of the good people here.
> >
> > I'd feel a lot better if you had a machine you could try this on without
> > it being something you need to have "in production" right away.

Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |  Daemons in the Desert   |  Global BUG Federation