OT: SAS drives

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Fri Jan 18 19:26:40 MST 2008

Ok, I'll chime in too, things to look for when purchasing a server
drive.

Drive:    Performance

              Mean Seek Time, RPM Speed, Cache, Burst Transfer Rate,
Sustained Transfer Rate, Mean Failure Time

            Control Function

              SCSI, IDE, Serial ATA

                        SCSI - I can name six incompatible flavors f
internal SCSI drives

                        IDE - All are backwards / forwards compatible to
some extent

                        SATA - Two forms, but the first was never in
popular use and I believe newer drives do work on older controllers.

            Interface/Physical connection

              What kind of connector do you have?  Do you use a standard
cable connection? Or do you have a high-speed back plane?

            Hot Swap

              Are your dives/backplane hot swappable?

            RAID

              What kind of RAID are you using? How will this disk fit in
your configuration?  If you using something like RAID 5 and you plane to
make this drive a volume member then you should get the exact model
number of the drive.

Purchasing from some one other then the manufacturer.

I use SCSI-3 UWLVDSCA-2 drives in my servers, but I never purchase the
drives rite from Dell, but since I do put them as member drives in my
RAID I typically purchase the exact same model of drive each time.  I
personally like Seagate Barracudas