UNetBootIn

Mike Storke storkus at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 01:19:35 MST 2008

--- chip33az at netscape.net wrote:

> Okay, my machine isn't that old.  I have a PII with 128MB.
>
> Would that work?  Hook up the HD to another machine and then install
> the
> OS.  Switch it over to the older laptop?  I have another laptop I
> could
> use for that if needed (I don't have an external notebook HD device.
>
> I downloaded the new gOS today (I think the Beta version).  I must
> say,
> I really like it.  A little plain, but runs quick.

Well, I forgot to mention that this assumes a binary distro: if you're
using a source-based distro, you'd either need to cross-compile or put
just enough live binaries to get it running on the other machine to
run its own compiles.

A PII w/128MB is more than enough to do anything like this.  In fact,
in this case you can just disconnect the master hard drive from the
computer you'll be installing from and put the drive from the laptop
in its place (with the before-mentioned converter, of course).
Then just run your install disk as before, but make sure you select
drivers for the laptop rather than the machine you're running the
install on.

I also re-read the above (it's not very clear).  If you have another
laptop that DOES have a CD-ROM in it, then that'll work as well by just
swapping the hard drives, no converter needed.  Just be careful of the
drive mounting rails, they can be flimsy.

Mike