Sccts guy contradicts RIAA document

Chris Gehlker canyonrat at mac.com
Sun Jan 6 14:25:45 MST 2008

On Jan 6, 2008, at 1:35 PM, der.hans wrote:

> I disagree. I read the docuement from Atlantic the same as he does. I
> think it's the document from Atlantic that's the falsehood.

I'm confused. I  don't any reference to the Atlantic in Fisher's WaPo
article. Fisher provides no links but I think it is clear that he is
talking about this document:
<http://www.ilrweb.com/viewILRPDF.asp?filename=atlantic_howell_071207RIAASupplementalBrief

> The RIAA has definitely taken a stance against fair use and is
> trying to
> limit fair use. I'd rather overreact when the RIAA tests the waters
> than
> just presume it's an accidental oversight.

This  is just a difference in strategy. I think we need to be careful
not  to over react lest we squander or credibility before they make
the big push.

> Did her statement get stricken from the record? Was it still in
> effect for
> the jury during deliberation?

Not only  was it part of the record, she herself has never publicly
retracted it. We only get this story that she misheard the question
from a 3rd party. Now I'm not a lawyer but I believe that a statement
made under oath stands until it is retracted under oath.

As Patry pointed out, what she said was "When an individual makes a
copy *for himself*." which doesn't sound like she misheard the question.
--
Seven Deadly Sins? I thought it was a to-do list!