Off-Topic: Looking for Hardware Recommendations

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Jan 4 20:04:57 MST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 18:34 -0700, Bryan O'Neal wrote:
> Same note.  You can play many X-Box games on a windows machine, but you
> can not play most windows games on a counsel (unless you got a cool
> X-Box hack to load some acquired windows on it and make it a gamming
> machine)
>
> I have a 3GHz duel core with 3.5 GB ram.  The video card has some memory
> onboard (64MB I think) and steals another 512MB from the system.  It
> plays Dungeon Lords, Bio-Shock, and Overlord quite easily so you could
> probably step down from their.  I am told from my WoW friends that 1GB
> of ram is the minimum but the sweet spot is around 2GB of ram.

Wow (no pun intended....well maybe a little). She is playing WoW with
512 MB with no problems on the P4 with Windows XP Pro. What doesn't work
is Sims2 - it locks up after a few minutes. It lasts longer now that I
removed Norton and installed a different anti-virus program. I have
ordered another 512 MB to see if Sims2 will play. The other games are
Nancy Drew, which are not big system hogs. As you can see, we are not
high end gamers.....;-)

> A 2GHz
> to 2.5GHz processor should be fine but you need a fairly beefy video
> card with at good VPU, at least some basic 3D acceleration, and I would
> say a minimum of 64MB on board ram, preferably 128MB.  System barrowed
> memory is not that good.
>
> As for processors in general...  A single 3GHz Duel core processor will
> perform ~60% better then a single core 3GHz processor for most
> applications written to efficiently utilize duel cores.

OK...but what is the price jump for dual core versus single core? Since
I may not need it today, perhaps I should wait for the dual cores to
become less expensive. Who makes the best dual core desktops/towers?