What the RIAA really said.

Chris Gehlker canyonrat at mac.com
Wed Jan 2 16:08:17 MST 2008

On Jan 2, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Patrick Fleming, EA wrote:

> These screen shots are not of the individual's PC, they are of the
> software used to "investigate" the supposed infringement. It similar
> someone taking a screen shot of a web page and saying, "this is what
> they are sharing".

You're right. I've read a bit more of the record and the RIAA's
expert, who is Jacobson, says that Howell "wiped" his drive of KaZaA
and all it's associated files so they can't be screenshots taken from
his PC. But the RIAA says elsewhere that Howell admitted that he made
and used a shortcut to his KaZaA shared folder and that therefore he
must have seen the music files in it. I'm confused because I don't
think that one can make a shortcut to a virtual folder.

This much is plain. If Howell did indeed erase files from his disk
after he was notified not to do so he's screwed. Maybe that's why he
can't find someone to represent him.
--
Vegetarians eat Vegetables, Humanitarians frighten me