New Linux user training?

Joe Zagar joe.zagar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 08:27:54 MST 2008

Our little group of Seniors, using Ubuntu, have found the Gutsy Gibbon
training guides very useful.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/download-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-desktop-training-guides-for-students-and-instructors.html

It has both Instructor and Student versions for download. Probably will not
help with your situation but is worth noting for newbies with Ubuntu.

Joe

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 9:55 PM, Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> wrote:

> My father (actively retired and now at 70+ years old) has recently
> purchased a new Eee PC.  He really likes it!  He surprised me and did
> NOT order Windows XP to go with it.  I have been helping him with a few
> things.  It has been an interesting experience.
>
> One evening we were confirming that his 8GB SD card was working
> properly.  He claimed it would not.  We discovered that the path to the
> card when inserted in the system was /media/SD_MMC (or something like
> that).  He wondered, of course, why it was not "drive D:"  And then he
> made a comment to this effect:
>
> "Am I going to have to learn lots of new things with this.  Maybe I
> should just buy Windows for it since I already know that."
>
> I am able to handle this situation.  I mean, it's my dad and I'll help
> him.  I am expanding this experience to a wider picture.  I'd like to
> hear about other experiences and ideas around new Linux user training.
>
> What training resources have you seen work?
>
> How can such training best be presented or used?
>
> How have you overcome objections to learning or using Linux on the
> desktop?
>
> And so on?
>
> Alan

Joe