Strange encfs issue

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Wed Dec 24 19:24:20 MST 2008

I recently decided to encrypt some data that I have on a raid parition.
I created an encfs partition, located on the raid partition itself,
located at /raid1/enc1 and mounted as /enc1.
I then tested moving a couple of files from /raid1/foo to /enc1/foo. And
verified that the encrypted files were now located in /enc1 and viewing
the files in /raid1/enc1 were the encrypted versions.

so then I did a "mv -v /raid1/somedir /enc1/somedir", and it ran
overnight as it was encrypting all of the files as it moved them. I
realized that the encrypted files would use slightly more space than the
orig files, but I had plenty of space free when I began the operation,
and since I was using "mv", it should delete the plaintext versions of
the files after it moved them to the encrypted volume...

But, that's not what happened.  The mv command aborted after about 18
hours, with a "device full" message, and checking, both /raid1 and /enc1
show as 100% full. The strange thing is I have now deleted at least 30GB
of files from /raid1 and , and they both STILL show 100% full.  Any idea
what is going on here?