OT:TrueCrypt

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Dec 8 14:54:35 MST 2008

From: "James Finstrom" <jfinstrom at rhinoequipment.com>
> Any opinions on truecrypt and other similar programs?  Anyone use
> this type of software due to need not as a toy?

Truecrypt is relatively easy to use, and you can access truecrypt
encrypted files or partitions from 'Doze as well as Linux.  When I
carried a laptop to work and had semi-private data on it, I kept
all that data in a 2G Truecrypt file.  I also set up a 64-byte key
file, kept on a USB key, and made a couple of scripts that let you
loopback-mount that file provided you had the USB key plugged in
and you knew the passphrase.  Even had it umount that file on
suspend-to-RAM.

And I'm sure others have even more paranoid ways to set that sort
of thing up.  Just remember that security is usually directly
proportional to pain-in-the-assitude.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows