OT : disk enclosure recommendation

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Sat Dec 6 09:54:50 MST 2008

Hi all.  I'm helping my father-in-law set up some network storage at
his house, and I am looking for some recommendations.

They currently have an iMac with a 300GB drive.  They want to add some
capacity, and the ability to fully backup both their iMac and the new
external storage.  I've been looking at an enclosure like this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822155009

I was thinking of getting a 500GB drive (for extra primary storage)
and a >800GB drive (for backup).  Configuring the NAS as JBOD rather
than RAID, I think this will suit all their needs pretty well.  We'll
also get a gigabit ethernet switch to keep things moving quickly.

Any other configurations you think might be better?  What should I
look for in the drives themselves?

thanks,
alex