XFCE weirdness

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Aug 19 11:05:11 MST 2008

From: Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org>
> I built all the X.org packages and all the required XFCE packages and
> everything built and installed properly.

You didn't use your distro's package manager?  It's always better to use the
package manager if there is one; it makes your life *A LOT* simpler.

> I started X by running startx, which loads twm and several xterm windows,
the
> clock, and it works just fine. However, when I replace the twm stuff in my
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file with startxfce4, XFCE starts up just fine, but I

> cannot move any windows!

The window manager almost certainly hasn't started.  I don't know what XFCE's
default window manager is, but it probably isn't running.  Once the DE has
been loaded, try "kwin --replace" (or twm, or metacity, or whatever) and see
what if anything that does.  The script for XFCE should be doing this
automatically.  If it isn't, time to get debugging....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows