GCC C/C++ application to run on Windows

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 12:25:17 MST 2008

 Hi Judd,

   Python or Ruby might be a good option... but I still tend to think Java
is best because:

   1) the libraries are far more dependable, in the case of MySQL there is
excellent support.
   2) its very easy to support a Java environment, any idiot can get through
the Java installer successfully.

  -jmz

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Judd Pickell <pickell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is C++ the requirement, or can you use compiled ruby code or compiled
> python? Personally I would recommend going with a python module
> solution (unless you expect the user of the app to not have python
> installed, or unable to install it).
>
> Sincerely,
> Judd Pickell
>
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:31 AM, koder <hmichels01 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > I would like to qualify Jon's comment.
> >
> > It is possible to write applications that run on both Windows and Linux,
> > if they are compiled separately and access resources required by each of
> > the respective operating systems. You will need to understand
> > programming in both environments.
> >
> > Writing an application that is going to access data sloshing through
> > MySQL on your system is another matter. It is possible, in principle to
> > write an application that can access the data on a Linux box, in a MySQL
> > database. Internet Explorer does this all the time.
> >
> > I would suggest that before you rush off, you need to think about your
> > goal. See if you can use existing tools to accomplish it before you
> > invest a year of your life in something that might use off the shelf
> > tools.
> >
> > Deciding to use C or C++ may before you have done that may not be
> > appropriate.
> >
> > Harold

"Never take counsel of your fears." - Andrew Jackson

- http://www.joshuazeidner.com/