DNS wierdness and cox communications

Technomage Hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 23:39:36 MST 2008

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed an increasing number of
customer calls about network outages. Now on the surface, this might
not seem all that relevant, However, these issues are not just windows
centric.

I have discovered a pattern to the outage problems I have been
troubleshooting. it seems that cox is filtering dns traffic to anyone
outside their own ip space. any attempt to use a DNS root server or
even the ASUdns servers results in many pages not being resolved. as
soon as I set for the cox dns servers, all seems to work again.

anyone else noticing this "filtering" on cox's part?