OT: need some help with fuel cells

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Thu Apr 24 16:01:51 MST 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Joshua Zeidner wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>  Hydrogen is hard to store in the gaseous state. The extremely small
>>  molecular size makes it possible for leaks to occur thru openings too
>>  small to pass molecules of other gases. Any such leaks are tough to detect
>>  until too late (i.e. kaboom!). Think exploding car batteries due to too
>>  rapid charging causing hydrogen buildup.
>>
>>  I'm not trying to discourage you but be VEEEERRRRYYYY careful and do a lot
>>  of research on handling and storing hydrogen.
>>

>  Is this from personal experience, or is this just a repeat of a
> movie brought to you by OPEC?
>
>  the fact is there are already public vehicles that run on hydrogen.
> I think the case for a hydrogen based economy has already been made.

Of course there are, but there was a *lot* of developemental work that
went into it. Quite a bit of it was to solve the problem I referred to. I
never said it wasn't feasible, just that I'm not sure I would want to
tackle it as a garage/backyard project.

--
Bob Holtzman
The most dangerous ones aren't the ones who don't know.