OT: notebook shopping

fouldragon at aol.com fouldragon at aol.com
Sun Apr 20 22:31:13 MST 2008

I sort of wish they'd get out of the software business-- you wouldn't
buy a Windows laptop or a Linux laotop, but rather a machine that
boots, and runs the vendor's self-test, then waits for a boot disc.

If the people who wanted Vista on their laptop had to install it just
as much as the people who wanted Slackware do, then all of a sudden:

1.  Their support costs drop 90%-- the only things they really have to
handle are DOA hardware.

2.  The Windows tax becomes obvious.

3.  Preinstalled-software inertia becomes less of an issue.
(OpenOffice would get installed more if MS Office, or worse yet, its
free trial versiopn, wasn't preinstalled)

4.  No more crapware.