LVM

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Apr 16 12:44:36 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Shawn Badger wrote:
> Speaking of LVM stuff. Is there a good way to do a vgimport on a PV that
> wasn't exported before the machine died?

Not vgimport specifically, but the VG metadata *should* have been backed up
the last time you made a change to the VG in /etc/lvm/backup/ .  It looks
like you can restore that with vgcfgrestore according to the man pages.  If
that dir is no longer available or the file containing the metadata has been
zorched, I don't know for sure what you'd do.

> I have personally been shying away form using [LVM] on non-raided systems
> because of past issues I have had with disk that have [PVs] on them from
> dead machines.

This is why you do regular backups of the important junk.  If a system is
using LVM, /etc/lvm/ is in the "important junk" category.

--
  "Bother," said Pooh.  "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
  phasers on the Heffalump; Piglet, meet me in transporter room three."