Fedora Core Help

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Sep 30 16:44:01 MST 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 14:29 -0700, Rhune Lord wrote:
> Craig,
>
> I feel like a dork, your earlier statement of x86_64 may be the key.
> Unfortunately, I thought I had it when I found the ACHI drivers, but
> on page:
>
> 3.2. Which Architecture Is My Computer?
> Processor Manufacturer and Model
>                                 	Architecture Type for Fedora
> Intel Core 2 Duo, Centrino Core 2 Duo, and Xeon; AMD Athlon64/x2,
> Sempron64/x2, Duron64	x86_64
>
> On some of the torrents and mirrors there are 64-bit versions of the
> distro's and that cause me to stick with i386 distro versions.  When I
> get home from work tonight I will try that and see if that's the key.
> If it is then I am guilty of not R.T.F.M. (Reading The F-ing Manual)
> folks and I apologize.
----
I believe that the kernel options of pci=nomsi all-generic-ide on the
i386 would probably allow you to continue through the install but I have
found that to be less than ideal, the ideal being x86_64

I should also note that I have had problems making grub work on some of
the newer Dell SATA hardware and have had to resort to lilo.

If you get to the point where it all installs but simply waits at stage
1.5 boot, let me know and I will get you instructions for
downloading/installing lilo.

Craig