Sendmail authentication configuration?

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Mon Sep 24 09:53:48 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 09:19 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> My Google searches are producing a large number of hits.  As I continue
> to wade through them, I think I'll query the great minds here.
>
> I have a Linux server that needs to send email.  The "relay" server
> requires:
>
> - Connection via SMTP.
> - Connection to a non-standard port number
> - Authentication as a valid email account user
>
> 1. I have found various documentation of how to configure my Sendmail
> server to *listen* on a port other than 25 but not where I can tell it
> to *send* on a different port.  Where do I configure it to relay to a
> port other than 25?
----
presuming that you are talking about using smtp on a cox based dhcp
provisioned net where they block port 25, it's just so much easier to
simply use smarthost and relay outbound mail via the cox smtp servers.

as for 'listening' find the section in sendmail.mc and fix it

dnl # The following causes sendmail to additionally listen to port 465,
but
dnl # starting immediately in TLS mode upon connecting. Port 25 or 587
followed
dnl # by STARTTLS is preferred, but roaming clients using Outlook
Express can't
dnl # do STARTTLS on ports other than 25. Mozilla Mail can ONLY use
STARTTLS
dnl # and doesn't support the deprecated smtps; Evolution <1.1.1 uses
smtps
dnl # when SSL is enabled-- STARTTLS support is available in version
1.1.1.
dnl #
dnl # For this to work your OpenSSL certificates must be configured.
dnl #
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl

----

> 2. The authentication options are confusing to me, so far.  I continue
> to read but if someone has a good, clear resource for Sendmail
> authentication as a user on another SMTP server, I'd appreciate a
> pointer to it.
>
> That second question is a little vague.  I'll read more so I can ask it
> better later.
----
I really like Brennan's Home Server guide for help here (though I don't
use sendmail any longer)

http://www.brennan.id.au/12-Sendmail_Server.html#encryption

but this is for Fedora/Red Hat systems so YMMV

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>