CentOS install prob

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Sep 21 03:23:18 MST 2007

Am 20. Sep, 2007 schwätzte Craig White so:

> On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 19:50 -0700, der.hans wrote:
>> moin moin,
>>
>> I'm trying to install CentOS 5.0 on a 3ware driver that doesn't have
>> support in the install kernel.
>>
>> 3ware provided a driver that insmods just fine and I can see the RAID
>> device.
>>
>> I can then do an install, but upon reboot the kernel panics.
>>
>> ###
>> Trying to resume from LABEL=SWAP-sda5
>> Unable to access resume device (LABEL=SWAP-sda5)
>> Creating root device.
>> Mounting root filesystem.
>> mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
>> ###
>>
>> I was able to boot the rescue image, load the 3ware module and open up the
>> initrd being used for the boots. The initrd has the 3ware module as well
>> as the scsi_mod driver and ext3 driver. It looks like everything is there.
>>
>> I can also see in the boot that the 3ware driver gets loaded and the 3ware
>> device gets recognized.
>>
>> I've tried both 64 bit and 32 bit installs.
>>
>> Any ideas as to what module is missing? Is it something else?
> ----
> might want to show us

Don't have access to the box right now.

> /etc/fstab

Lists the mounts via LABEL. All the LABEL pieces seem correct to me.

> /etc/modprobe.conf

Didn't look at that.

> I would make certain that the proper 3ware module is listed
> in /etc/modprobe.conf BEFORE you 'mkinitrd' again.

Since it's getting into the initrd I figured I'm fine.

> I am not knowledgeable about 3ware cards but have definitely done
> similar making older megaraid cards work on CentOS-4
>
> The basic process is to boot rescue disk, insmod the module, mount the
> disk, chroot to the root of the 3ware drives, verify /etc/modprobe.conf
> is correct and then cd to /boot, mkinitrd
> initrd-2.6.20-xxxEL-whatever.img.copy 2.6.20-xxxEL-whatever then move
> the new initrd.img file over the old one.

Yeah, I was chrooting into /mnt/sysimage in trying to repair things.
Environment setup was shot that way :(.

As I was running out of time I noticed that the filesize of the module in
the initrd is significantly smaller than the filesize of the module from
the zip file from 3ware.

I was thinking this is a different module with a different name than any
others in the kernel. That might not be the case. Looks like I'll have to
fix the chroot environment well enough for mkinitrd to work.

Thanks for the ideas.

> There are LOTS of people who work with 3ware cards on CentOS mail
> list...

I hopped in one of the IRC channels and asked for help. Nothing
substantial came back. Didn't really expect it, but since I was on a
limited time budget I went for the live support option :).

ciao,

der.hans
#  "If it's not a toy you're looking at it wrong." -- der.hans