AMD/ATI opening specs

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Sep 6 12:58:33 MST 2007

After a long battle with technology, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 11:41:18AM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> > http://www.newsforge.net/feature/119049
> The more important issue is if/how specs are released. If good (real)
> specs are released, then there are enough people out there capable of
> writing drivers from scratch.
>
> If drivers are open sourced, but specs are only available through NDA,
> then there are likely to be problems with maintenance.

The newsforge article made it sound like there weren't going to be NDAs
involved.  The license for the 3D bits is of course still up in the air.  The
comments about 7000 to 8000 registers gave me pause, but I've never written a
video driver and so don't know how much more complexity thousands of
registers might introduce.

> These issues are important to Linux, *BSD, and all other open source
> operating systems. I hope to see freely available specs out there.

Yep, open specs = win.  We'll probably have to wait until next week to see
what they actually cough up though.

--
  207.  The following are not legal weapons in a duel:  Steamrollers,
  Nerve Gas, Land Mines, Midgets.