out of file descriptors... mystery

Randy Melder randymelder at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 10:23:48 MST 2007

On 9/6/07, Alex LeDonne <aledonne.listmail at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is apache running as root? Or as some other user?
the main process is root, but the children are apache

> What's that user's limit on file descriptors according to ulimit (as opposed to the
> filesystem limit)? 547 is suspiciously close to 512, * 2 logs per
> vhost = 1024 = default file descriptor limit for most users.
>
> -A

Well.. most of the vhosts already had their log files commented out...
 Maybe 10 or so did not.

so I commented out ALL of the ErrorLog and AccessLog statements and I
am now running 632 vhosts on the box. I wish I knew what the real
problem was... and how to fix it.

; ) .randy