OT: How best to record "off-the-air" HD-TV?

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Thu Oct 11 23:23:09 MST 2007

Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> This might not be OT if there is a way to use a Linux computer
> to do what I want to do.
>
> Being fed up with cable/dish gouging and being force-fed 100+
> garbage channels that we *do not* want, a few months ago,
> we switched to just viewing "off-the-air" TV.  The HD signal
> is so fabulous that we don't even watch anything that is not HD.
>
> The one problem, however, is that I have been told there is no
> way to record HD (and other digital) channels from "off-the-air"
> broadcast; and that the only way record HD-TV is with a Tivo and
> being forced to pay a monthly subscription fee?

No, you've been misinformed about that.  We recently got an LG plasma TV
with a built-in DVR.  It works great!  And although we thought we'd need
to get cable, we have not yet done so.  We were totally surprised at the
signal quality of the free HD stations, especially channel 8 and the
extra programming you get with a digital tuner.

Vaughn