ubuntu help

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:43:03 MST 2007

On 10/3/07, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:

> After a long battle with technology, Dazed_75 wrote:
> > On 10/1/07, betty <nicepenguin at webcanine.com> wrote:
> > > I just put ubuntu on my office computer, got it to connect o.k. to the
> > > internet, BUT it doesn't recognize my outgoing or incoming email
> servers
> > > and for some reason, the firefox won't connect. although i can see on
> > > the ext. modem (and hear on the phone line) that it IS connected.
> > I would add that it does seem a bit odd to be using dial-up from an
> office
> > computer (though not unheard of).
>
> Yeah, most offices have something better than dialup if they've got more
> than
> one machine in them.  You sort of need bandwidth if you have people
> mailing
> each other 10M .ppt files all day (which happens a lot.)
>
> > But based on other experiences, I can say that Linux in general does
> > not always handle having two separate paths to the internet very well.
>
> That's what the "assign default route to this interface" checkbox in kppp
> is
> for.  Check it, and the PPP interface becomes the default gateway.  This
> is
> what most PPP users want, though there are specialized situations when you
> don't want this.

Thanks Matt, that's news to me, but then I have never done dial-up in
Linux.  Also, from a quick web search it looks like kppp is a KDE thing.  Is
there a gnome equivalent (for future reference only)?

> Case in point being a system having both a wired and a wireless connection
> > even via the same router.  You might want to try ifconfig to see if the
> > system believes it has two working interfaces to the net.
>
> Actually, "route -n" would be a better thing to look at if the routes are
> mangled.  You'd see one line like so:
>
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> 0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
> eth0
>
> ...packets that are not destined for the local (192.168.1.0, 127.0.0.0)
> nets
> are sent to the gateway.  Betty would probably see something similar, but
> it'd be ppp0 instead of eth0, and the gateway address would probably be a
> routable IP corresponding to the device on the other end of the PPP link.

Cool.  I did not know this either.  But can you give an example of what it
would look like if broken by two interfaces to the same gateway?  Network
Manager, when I finally got it working right, solved the problem for me and
I am not willing to break it to test what output route -n would give.

--
>    I find that having a pint or two is a good problem-solving technique.
>    Especially if it's vodka rather than beer.
>       --Peter Corlett in ASR
> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being
either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
  - George F. Will