7z on LINUX

Shawn Dowler shawn.dowler at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 20:08:16 MST 2007

2007/6/24, Vaughn Treude <vltreude at deru.com>:
> KevinO wrote:
> >
> > Vaughn Treude wrote:
> >> Hello all:
> >> I recently had the misfortune to download an archive with 7z format.  I
> >> can't find anything that does that sort of decompression in Linux.  On
> >> 7zip's source-forge page, there's some nonsense about using Wine to run
> >> their Windows version, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a ridiculous
> >> kludgie way of doing things that should be avoided if at all possible.
> >> Somebody must make a 7z decoder runs on Linux, right?  It's just that
> >> every time I do a Google search I get all this Windows crap!  I was able
> >> to download some source which CLAIMS to compile on Linux but the
> >> makefile is totally in a Windows format.  Heck, I might be willing to
> >> port it, but I'm not going to reinvent somebody else's wheel.  So does
> >> anybody know of a real Linux app that does this?
> >> Thanks,
> >> Vaughn

What distro are you using?  If it helps, the package might be called
p7zip.  It's a command line only app, and the actual command is "7z x
filename.7z"  If you let us know which distro it is, we could probably
supply you with a location to download the packages.

If you want to compile from source, then you have to probably edit the
makefile by hand, and run "make all2" then the install.sh script.  It
should work, but if you can get a package for your distro, all the
better :)

Shawn Dowler