Red Hat Enterprise Linux software sources?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Jun 15 13:24:21 MST 2007

Am 15. Jun, 2007 schwätzte Alan Dayley so:

> We just got a new server with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 pre-installed.
> Cool!  Red Hat sells an "Application Stack" which includes JBoss (don't
> need) and the usual LAMP stack.  Cool!  The Application Stack costs,
> minimum $1,999 for a one year subscription and download installation.
> NOT COOL!  The boss would choke on that budget request.

Is the application stack the only way to officially get LAMP from RHEL?

Remind your $boss that your company also sells support ( at least I
believe it does ) and would like customers to buy support contracts.

That bothered me about my last employer. They would bitch about customers
being cheap and not buying support for our products, but then they refused
to buy support for anything we used. I guess it's only being cheap when
it's someone else's money...

> I want to keep this system updated and install needed software in as
> automated a fashion as possible.  Are there well maintained, no cost,
> community repositories for RHEL that I can point to for installation of
> software via yum or another such tool?

I believe you can just move to getting updates from CentOS.

If I'm remembering correctly[0] how Russ Herrold[1] put it when he was at
the west side meeting, CentOS is a recompilation and repackaging of the
RHEL sources[2]. I believe there is a high degree of compatability between
CentOS updates and RHEL. But, maybe you should just move to CentOS as
others have already suggested.

Some of us might suggest another distro :).

Does anyone sell commercial support for CentOS?

[0] which I probably am not
[1] he's a CentOS developer and announced the just released version of
CentOS at the meeting. I think he also said he's one of the founders of
the CentOS project, but I haven't been able to find documention verifying
that
[2] "based on Red Hat's commercial Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
product. This rebuild project strives to be 100% binary compatible with
the upstream product and, within its mainline and updates, not to vary
from that goal."[3]
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centos

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Human kind cannot bear very much reality."
#    -- T.S. Eliot, "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton"