Headers and Footers in Firefox

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 21:53:48 MST 2007

On 6/2/07, JT Moree <moreejt at pcxperience.com> wrote:

> Dazed_75 wrote:
> > Currently using Ubuntu 7.04 (feisty) and Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4
> > <http://2.0.0.4> but this seems to be true for all the Firefoxes I have
> > used with various versions of Ubuntu.  If I look at the print preview
> > for a web page it shows the desired headers for title and url ad footer
> > of page # of # and the date.  Unfortunately they do not print out.  I
> > think there may be some hidden values for header and footer margins
> > because I used to see a row or two of dots at the top of pages,  Does
> > anyone know where to adjust them (the normal margin adjustments do not
> > help)?
>
> File -> Print -> Properties has some margin settings.  I've had to tweak
> those to get the stuff to show up.  I don't understand why this is a
> problem but I'm guessing the layers of print subsystems is to blame.
>
> JT, you hit the nail on the head - almost :)  Actually, you did, but there
is another nail as well.  Turns out Firefox has essentially 3 sets of
margins:

1) In File -> PageSetup..., there is a set on the Margins & Header/Footer
tab.  This set is in inches and seems to be margins for the main page print
only (they do not affect the header footer margins).
2) In File -> Print... -> Properties, there is another set shown in
millimeters as the gap from edge of paper to Margin.  There DO affect the
header and footer margins and MAY not affect the main page margins (i did
not do enough testing to tell).  Apparently these are also stored as printer
specific values in the about:config data (look for print.printer_xxx values)
for each printer for which they have been set.
3) In the about:config data there is a 3rd set (print.print_xxx values)
which seem to be the default values for the printer specific values
mentioned in #2.  The default seems to be 4mm.

Austin, those utils look mighty interesting and I hope to play with them but
as you see, my initial problem is resolved.
and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss