Desktop cluttered.

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Tue Feb 27 20:27:21 MST 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 08:14:50PM -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 February 2007 7:48 pm, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> > You people mystify me sometimes. I left "Desktop" behind with Windows,
> > where it belongs. It's an outdated metaphore that was of dubious utility
> > to begin with. :)
>
> Oh great, wise, and powerful one.... what shall we call the previously called
> desktop?

No, I don't have a desktop called something else. I just don't have a
desktop at all. Lots of people *like* desktops, keep stuff there,
download stuff there, etc. I'm not one of them, so I switched to a
window manager that doesn't even have the concept. Before that, I was
using a different window manager that doesn't even have the concept.

What the heck good is a desktop anyway? A place to put a "My Computer"
icon? Blah, you can get that in a snap on your menu or toolbar. A place
to put files? Phooey, that's your home directory. It just doesn't make
much sense to me, and it doesn't fit with how I work.

People are different, and if a desktop metaphore is good for you then
use it. Me, the great, wise, and powerful one is just here to remind you
that there are options. ;-)

--
Darrin Chandler                   |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
dwchandler at stilyagin.com          |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/