security, encryption, and healthcare

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 12:08:20 MST 2007

  Healthcare is definately growing... I would guess it will probably
be the next bubble sector, if we have another bubble.  You can take a
look at the Dow Jones World Developed Health Care Index:

  http://finance.google.com/finance?q=INDEXDJX%3A.W3HCR

  At a certain level, money and investment simply follow these growth
curves in the various securities, futures, and stock markets,
regardless of whether these companies are actually providing a value
or not.  All too often the financial projections diverge from the
worlds of regulation and policy making( and are often at odds with one
another  ).  And given the problems in the medical and pharma worlds,
this is certainly the case.  But that has been the character of our
country since the 70s... will things change?  who knows!

  As for Cryptography, and anything security related... if you do plan
on operating in this area it acts a bit differently than being a
corporate code jockey.  You need academic credentials, and a history
of publication to be taken seriously.  If you are a self-appointed
math genius, this will not get you very far.  You need to be able to
convince large groups and HR departments that you have a serious and
quantifiable background in these disciplines.  Just 'getting into'
this field is not possible without a commitment to school or perhaps
military.

  this activity of jumping onto the next 'hot technology' is really
not going to be a very profitable game in coming years.  The Ruby
people I find are already jumping ship, now that every person who owns
a laptop has become a Ruby programmer and they can no longer charge
high rates.  Time to rewrite the resume!  "I think I'll make myself a
Python expert this time".  The most important thing to watch is labor
regulations( both foreign and domestic ), if the attitude at DOL
changes, then a skills investment may make sense.  Right now, our
policies do not favor domestic engineers on the middle level pay
scale.  And so it goes...

  Unfortunately there are no good organization that really track these
kinds of trends for American engineers.  Why?  I'll tell you why.
Because there is a large group of people here  in this country who
ended up in this field who had no investment in training or
credentials.  So naturally, they oppose any kind of opinions which
would suggest that to be considered an engineer one must have a degree
or some level of accreditation.  These are the types who say... "some
of the best people I know have no degree at all".  Some of the most
arrogant and self-serving people I know have no degree and insist,
despite the fact that they have little ability to work with a larger
community of people, that they are much more talented than %95 of
people working as software developers.  They are convinced they are
going to be the next Marc Andreeson or something.  Still though, some
disciplines are totally off limits to code honchos, and cryptography
and security have historically been one of them.

  In general though, the trend has been towards a cheaping of all
scientific disciplines.  Instead of computer scientists, we have
coders.

  -jmz

ps. for a good rundown of the problems with DOL and engineering check
out Norm Matloff or The Programmers Guild:
http://www.programmersguild.org/