CAUTION resizing M$ Vista partitions

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 21:04:24 MST 2007

On 2/26/07, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> <SNIP>
> OK, that partition seems to be hosed.  I tried to mount it to copy off a
> couple of files before reloading and mount gave me an error saying the ftype
> was wrong or the superblock is corrupt.  It suggests looking at dmesg which
> had 4 messages saying basicly that the inode is corrupt and suggests running
> CHKDSK.  Of course I can't do that either on an NTFS partition without
> windows :)
>
> Looks like I wipe it and re-install Vista, Office and Ubuntu instead of
> playing tonight.
> --
> Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
> and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss

That worked.  BTW, I used the LiveCD and Qtparted to remove the extra
partions and reformat the NTFS one before reinstalling Vista.  Seems Vista
(at least the RC1 rendition) must do something different as I suspected.
Basicly letting a linux install resize the NTFS partition corrupted
something Vista is doing with the MBR or boot sequence.  Not a big surprise
and it is probably something they are doing under the guise of security.
Too bad they can't figure out how to do that without breaking things.

CAUTION: Be wary of resizing Vista partions !!!  Until someone understands
this I won't say you can't but I will say be sure you have a restorable
image.

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss