TOC for man

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu Feb 15 07:18:21 MST 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 09:01:39PM -0700, JT Moree wrote:
> Darrin Chandler wrote:
> > I'd say "Info is the unfortunate replacement that GNU created for man."
> > Replacing an outdated but serviceable utility shouldn't be done with a
> > half-baked idea and poor implementation choices.
>
> Anything that will make info actually have info would be great.  Every
> time I've checked it, it has nothing or the same thing as the man page.
>  Half the time the man page said 'see info'  and info says 'see info'.

Info is a GNU creation, and there was a time when it seemed GNU really
believed it would be seen as vastly superior and be adopted by everyone
very quickly. Some major GNU offerings have extensive docs in info.
Fewer, but some major non-GNU stuff also have their major docs in info.
I believe there are some nice GUI browsers for info that take away most
of the pain.

--
Darrin Chandler                   |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
dwchandler at stilyagin.com          |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/