no amp in Lamp

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 07:48:57 MST 2007

Now you tell me that xubuntu is a lightweight desktop ONLY distro. :)

I assumed it was a LAMP because is has a LAMP server.

Well I spent a lot of time finding that out.

I used to be a purist.  Severs never should have X.  I still feel that way for most production servers.

I find having X on a development box makes managing it really nice.

I used my laptop to experiment so I do not mess up my dev environment. I also wanted to install Linux on my laptop.

My goal is to decide on which distro to put on my new server that will be LAMP with X.  Right now Fedora is doing a good job.

I must admit I have not done much Linux in 3 years ...... A lot has changed and I must say for the better.

I installed the Ubuntu desktop - gnome which does seem to use more resources but not bad.

I have everything installed except Anjuta.

Questions for server install:
1)  Does phpMyAdmin automatically install using the lamp server version?
2)  Since I need LAMP I'm thinking of installing the server then adding the Desktop after that.  Any thoughts?

Oh btw I'm going to use my new server as a dev server and a workstation .....

Thanks a bunch.
Keith

believed to be clean.

Keith Smith