It's now illegal to turn on your computer

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Mon Dec 31 13:28:15 MST 2007

Joshua Zeidner wrote:
> On 12/31/07, Vaughn Treude <vltreude at deru.com> wrote:
>
>> I can't resist joining the fray!
>>
>> On the one hand, I've personally never produced anything of value that
>> wasn't "intellectual" property.  On the other hand, a society that
>> actually tried to _enforce_ the copyright laws as they stand would be
>> totalitarian indeed.
>>

>   just to further clarify my stance here, although the linux world has
> managed to create a world class OS...
>
>   do you really think that the Open Source 'bazaar' form of
> organization could create the theoretical basis behind eg. context
> switching or IPC?  not a chance.  Not to insult anyone, but it was
> quite an undertaking just to decide what CMS to use for the PLUG web
> site.  So my concern is that if we choose to abandon IP altogether, we
> may be abandoning progress.  My personal interests probably lie on the
> left side of things, but I know that unless some kind of balance is
> introduced to the debate, these issues will never see the light of
> day.
>
>   I guess at some level I wish for an IP system that actually works
> for the common man, rather than the total abolition of it.

Agreed!  Though I haven't quite decided what that would be, especially
in the anarcho-capitalist system that I espouse.  The current state of
intellectual property reminds me of the bozos who plant "no trespassing"
signs around a vacant lot they haven't bothered to fence. Government,
protect my stuff! (Of course, the signs may just be there for liability
purposes.)  :-)

Vaughn