Speeding up X11 forwarding

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Dec 18 00:14:11 MST 2007

Am 17. Dec, 2007 schwätzte Charles Jones so:

> You could try "-c blowfish", which uses a lighter encryption so there is less
> overhead.
> Also, depending on the type of data and the speed of the connection, you may
> have luck with the compression "-C" option.

Listen to Charles :).

Also, don't use X if you don't need to. For instance, use FoxyProxy on
Firefox on your local desktop rather than shoving Firefox through the
pipe. Charles should've mentioned it as he's the one that finally got me
using it :).

Lots of apps can handle using proxies.

The next version of X is supposed to be much improved for using
applications remotely. In the meantime look at VNS, NxMachine and also
some KDE stuff I keep hearing about.

Or, learn how to do everything in screen ;-).

ciao,

der.hans

> -Charles
>
> Bryan O'Neal wrote:
>> I am working on remote machines a lot lately, and while I have killer pipes
>> at one end, and fairly good pipes at the other end, using X11 aps like fire
>> fox is down right painful.  Any way to speed it up through my ssh_conf or
>> sshd_conf files?  I typically login in using -X -Y, but it will take
>> upwards of two minutes just to launch firefox.

#  I chose to use the kernel sources as my documentation.  ;-)
#  -- Kevin Buettner