(semi OT) For those that remember (and those that don't)

eculbert eculbert at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 07:05:25 MST 2007

What I don't miss is the 'playing indoor roofer' when
it rained. Basically that was run down to shipping and
grab one of those big rolls of wrapping plastic and
make 'tents' to keep the leaking roof from forcing a
'48 hour confidence run' from making you kill it about
32 hours into the run!! Shipping would try to keep us
out, but we were sneaky!!

I worked on the 'water pumper' when it was there. It's
main cpu circuit breaker had a fan to keep the
'small???' 70 amp, 3 phase 208 vac breaker from
tripping!! Someone in DC test took a 1/8 welding rod
and welded with one power supply and couldn't get the
over current set low enough to trip!! No 'micro packs'
installed at that point.

Someone dropped a 1/4 screw driver onto the negative
3.3 vdc bus bar and you could bend what survived of it
when it arc'd and spit metal out with your finger
easily.

Neither of those I did!! Honestly, but knew about.

--- Mark Jarvis <mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu>
wrote:

> Found on slashdot:
>
> Hardware: The 305 RAMAC — First Commercial Hard
> Drive
> Posted by ScuttleMonkey on Monday December 10,
> @03:15PM
> from the looking-back-for-perspective dept.
> Data Storage
> Captain DaFt writes "Snopes.com has an article that
> gives an interesting
> look back at the first commercial hard drive, the
> IBM 350. Twice as big
> as a refrigerator and weighing in at a ton, it
> packed a whopping 4.4MB!
> Compare that to the 1-4GB sticks that most of us
> have on our keychains
> today."

Ed/ke7feg

Did I mention, 2/23/07 the FCC dropped all cw (ADA Morse code) testing for any class of license as a ham? Just pass the written and "U's a ham"!! Many sites test online, but you have to go for the real test. $14 for as high as you can climb in one session.