HD antenna

Mike Storke storkus at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 16:07:31 MST 2007

As a ham radio operator, I can tell you that the thing about needing
a special antenna for ATSC (aka (H)DTV) is total BS.  A TV or radio
antenna for broadcast reception is the same regardless of the
modulation technique.  The only difference, as pointed out earlier,
is in the receiver.

Once again, the whole "Special HDTV Antenna" thing is just a scam to
make some people rich off ignorance.  We've all seen it before in the
computer world with all the types of FUD (or worse) out there.  Save
your money and if cheap rabbit ears will work, more power to you.

BTW, as a reminder, we (meaning the USA and Canada) just HAD to have
our own over-the-air standard separate from everyone else in the
world in the form of ATSC.  Europe and most other places use the DVB
set of standards, which coincidentally is also what's used in nearly
all cable TV systems here as well as at least one satellite service
(DirecTV, I think).  This is also why if you want to receive both off
the air and cable you need 2 different tuners.  But if you're using
cable or satellite exclusively and never intend to receive over the
air, you can save a lot of money by just buying an "HDTV Monitor" that
leaves out the ATSC tuner (and, last I checked, around $500!).

Mike