compiz/beryl and fast user switching

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Aug 31 12:45:03 MST 2007

After a long battle with technology, Josh Coffman wrote:
> On 8/31/07, Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 11:00 -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:
>>> Does anyone know if there is a way to make compiz or beryl work
>>> with fast user switching?

Or if there's a way to make compiz-fusion work with wmctrl (or vice versa).
wmctrl -l works, but shows that everything's on workspace 0 when I have
windows on 0 and 1.

>> I always thought that the impressive thing to demonstrate was stability

You can't show someone "stability" in 30 seconds.  (Well, unless you do
something like randomly delete a bunch of important stuff in /etc and show
how the system keeps limping along.)  Most people's attention spans are too
short to ... oh, look, a puppy!

>> text based configuration files, automated installations/updates and of

Text config files, while extremely useful, aren't impressive or even
comprehensible to Joe User.  "apt-get dist-upgrade" or its synaptic
equivalent, OTOH, is easy to explain and demonstrate.  I think *that* is a
better selling point.

>> Eye candy things like compiz/beryl are hardly stable and are impressive
>> only for people that know little about computers.

"People who know little about computers" are roughly 90% of people.  I suppose
you can ignore them if you want, but it's a losing long-term strategy IMO.

> 3d desktop is impressive to the casual over-the-shoulder peek at a coffee
> shop, or showing someone something on your machine like a youtube video
> briefly.
>
> Craig, you're right, but unfortunately my opportunities to introduce linux
> are limited to first impressions. For first impressions, style is usually
> more impressive than substance.

*ding* we have a winner.  FWIW, compiz-fusion has been pretty stable for me on
2 machines once I got it set up properly.  It's just ... slower on this
bloody FireGL2 card than it should be, and sometimes shows tearing.  Ah well,
onward and upward!

--
 As a dog stood outside the gate of a temple, the Buddha called to him,
 "Dog, why do you not enter?" The dog looked back and replied, "I do not