Expand MAC filter list?

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Mon Aug 27 16:33:22 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 16:11 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Like most routers, the Linksys WRT54GL with stock firmware has a MAC
> address filter list.  It is a security measure to only allow wireless
> network devices with a known MAC to connect.
>
> The MAC list is full.  Certain people who were in charge of maintaining
> the list did not write down what MAC belonged to which laptop.  So, they
> don't know who to delete from the list.  Rather than inventory every
> laptop again to determine who to delete, I have been asked if the list
> can be expanded.
>
> 1. Using the stock firmware can the list be expanded beyond the number
> of fields available in the web admin UI?  If so, how?
>
> 2. What is the upper limit of MAC filter addresses in any 3rd party
> firmware, such as OpenWRT or DD-WRT?
>
> 3. Where do I go to pick up a clue stick that will work on these people
> so that I am not bothered with these things that should be handled in
> other ways by someone other than me?  ;^)
----
not exactly responsive to your q's but perhaps helpful nonetheless...

if you run ISC's dhcpd then you can grep each 'MAC' address for the last
time an ip address was assigned to it.

if you run a linux mail server, you can probably grep /var/log/maillog
for each ip address to see if it's being used.

you can check for current connections by running arp command...which can
then be grepped for their MAC addresses.

and for management, I would probably just use an old analog spreadsheet.

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>