Aunt Tilly's Linux

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Thu Aug 16 22:51:25 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 12:40 -0700, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> Sounds like the OP is confusing a Konqueror (or Nautilus) feature with
> the Bash shell itself. Chances are that any Linux box you sit at will
> have a Bash shell available (F4 in Konqueror will bring one up in the
> current directory or type ALT F2 "konsole") and you can just use common
> commands like ssh.

Actually, for SSH file transfers I rarely use the shell anymore.  The
gnome-vfs support is just too easy.  I can edit files on my web host
using gEdit directly.  And the whole thing is nice and secure.

I've actually set up .desktop files for most of the applications that I
use on other hosts too.  They SSH in using a key, create the secure X
tunnel and start the application.  It's really nice to have all of that
integrated.

While I use SSH almost constantly, it's rarely from the shell.

		--Ted