Malware (Was: Re: (no subject))

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Fri Sep 22 09:23:39 MST 2006

One of the first Outlook worms I received was from my supervisor at
work.  I knew the sender and the attachment was not unexpected.  This
concept is part of the social engineering that allows worms to propagate.

You are right - part of the security piece is the person and they must
become part of the solution through an information security awareness
program and reinforcement of a questioning attitude.

<RANT>
The cynical side of me says that software development industry has
trained millions of people to expect computers to not work correctly, so
anomalies are ignored "because it's Windows" or "because it's a PC".  My
wife just went through a horrible experience with NAU's web site -
whenever it screws up, we have to clear cookies, clear cache, restart
browser.  Turns out this is step 1 in the Help Desk troubleshooting
guide.  It goes back to the Microsoft Car analogy - the world has been
trained to expect weird things to happen to PCs, so they don't question
it.  If my car worked like NAU's web site, it would be back in the shop.
  (Actually it did - and it took 5 updates to the computer over a 2 week
period to get OnStar and the phone to work correctly.)
</RANT>

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
My IT Department
www.myITaz.com
480-544-1067

Confidential data protection experts for the financial industry.