PDA

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Tue Sep 19 06:42:16 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 18:45, Michael wrote:
> Are handsprings PDAs still linux-friendly? If not what do you recomend that is
> inexpensive. I don't need much more than a date book and address book.
>
> My current PDA (a Visor) is broken. After it has been restored it operates
> normally for a few minutes then the icons stop working. No matter where on
> the screen I tap the left icon row is activated.
>
> All advise is welcome.

My Nokia 770 is not only Linux-friendly, it actually runs Linux.  It's a
little on the slow side, but one nifty device, especially for wireless
communications.  Since it's an "Internet Tablet" you actually have to
download PDA software for it, but at least that's free.  The main
downside is the price, over $300, which probably isn't want you'd call
inexpensive.

I'd stay away from the cheaper Palm devices.  I had a bad experience
with one of those.  It died after only a year of use - of course the
warranty was done.  What happened was the battery failed, and it was not
removable.  They must have saved at least 35 cents per unit with that
clever cost-cutting measure.  :-(

Vaughn