Thoughts on Gentoo

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 10:22:46 MST 2006

Thanks, I did read about that, and went for the simplest set of flags and
options considered "safe".  I have no interest in getting a theoretical 0.5%
speed increase at the risk of stability.

My only problem is with trying to play music. I suspect I'm missing something
I need to install, but I don't know how to find out what it is.

If I try to use Rhythmbox (I know most will probably recommend something
else, but it has the smallest memory footprint of the players I've tried, and
I have used it very successfully on other distros), It prints a message for
each .ogg file in the library saying something like gnomevfssrc element could
not be created (I don't have the exact message handy).  It seems like the
forums on every major distro have a post from someone with this problem, but
no solutions that I could find.  I installed two packages whose names seemed
to indicate they had something to do with gnomevfs.

I installed Totem and tried to play the music files.  It runs and thinks it's
playing them, but I get no sound.

Oh well, more digging I guess.  I may start using this for serious work, as
it is very fast, and very clean the way I have it set up.