Thoughts on Gentoo

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 8 11:57:14 MST 2006

Thanks for the comments. This is more or less the impression I have of it so
far, and from reading.  The idea is cool but I don't think I would use it for
a server, unless I could get by with setting it up and ignoring updates.

I'm just on a round of trying a couple of new distros. I tend to stick with
the ones I know usually. I recently installed Ubuntu just to see what all the
fuss is about.  The install was certainly easy, but I think it tried to do
too much, when it should have asked me a few more questions.  For instance,
it assumed certain things about the network and then set it up incorrectly.
It wasn't hard to fix of course, but I would rather be asked at install time,
rather than have it choose random and incorrect settings.

As long as we're talking about distros, any Suse users?  I thought about
trying it out too, but the 5 CDs intimidated me.  Seems like a lot just to
test something out.