Linux Computer Names not found

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 09:57:56 MST 2006

I've been allowing dhclient-script (8), dhclient.conf (5), and dhcpd-options
(5) to wear ruts in my brain to little avail.  I have not been able to find
anything that invokes dhclient.script, but the doc seems to indicate you
should be able to create an /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks script (as well as an
exit version if desired) where presumably you could do this customization.

Like I said, I have not found anything invoking /etc/dhclient-script, but it
does exist.  The hooks scripts do not currently exist on my system but a
directory /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks.d apparently (see another post I just
did for why I say apparently) does.  The dhclient-script looks to me like it
would run scripts in that directory if they were there (though my script
skills are super rusty these days).  In any case, this appears like a road
to a solution though I do not know if the mechanism is the same for other
distros.  For that matter, I am not even sure for Ubuntu given that I can't
yet determine that it actually uses /etc/dhclient-script.

On 9/6/06, Mike <stuff at dustsmoke.com> wrote:

> > On 9/6/06, Mike <stuff at dustsmoke.com> wrote:
> >> As for getting the name to show up on a dhcp server, (e.g. the linksys)
> >> if your using the dhcp3 client on linux you just need to add something
> >> like
> >> send host-name "computername";
> >> to your /etc/dhclient.conf or /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
> >>

> >> This did fix the name showing for the DHCP Client list on the router.
> >> For
> > Ubuntu 6.06 it was in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf as you said.  I find it
> > difficult to believe this in not standard behaviour for a DHCP
> client.  I
> > also find it very ugly that one would have to manually edit that file
> for
> > each machine in the local net.  Problem solved but there has to be a
> > better
> > way.  Thanks Mike!
> >

> You would think so wouldn't you? Seems like you 'should' be able to just
> tell it to send /etc/hostname..... Or it should just do this by default
> which it doesn't. At one point I saw a script to pull this off in a
> hackish manner. But I haven't figured out how to get it to do the way it
> seems like it should work. Personally I have dhcpd and bind setup with a
> stub zone from my public domain for my local segment. For my static leases
> assigned by mac it sending the hostname or not doesn't matter, but for the
> dynamic pool that also has ddns setup on it. This is a problem if the
> thing doesn't send the hostname. It'll still work just fine without it but
> an A record doesn't get created in the forward and reverse zones without
> it.
>
> Its not something thats limited to a linksys dhcp feature. It shows up
> everywhere. I haven't looked too hard but if you figure out how to make it
> send /etc/hostname or something along those lines... Let me know.
>
> -Mike

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss