Website contributions (Was: Re: The site is down)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 7 08:20:37 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 21:52 -0700, der.hans wrote:
> Am 06. Sep, 2006 schwätzte Craig White so:
>
> > I think the focus wasn't clear and the objectives muddy.
>
> Well, we only get rain twice a year, how much mud can we have?  :)
>
> > Most activity tends to occur at the project level whereas PLUG is a
> > regional and not project centric. So it seems that much of the content
> > isn't gonna reach the wider audience. I think it needs to focus on
> > things like...
> >
> > - regional events
> > - regional news
> > - regional blogs / and perhaps blogs is the one area where there could
> > be a lot of interest/activity
>
> I agree that the PLUG site should mostly be regional content. Doesn't mean
> we couldn't become *the* site for $foo information, but that isn't a
> primary goal.
>
> Who wants to make sure meeting announcements get up on the site?
>
> We could have lots of regional news. Many companies in the Valley are
> using Free Software. Several government agencies and schools as well. I'd
> love to have a section covering Free Software in use here in town.
>
> Hmm, good idea. We should do more with RSS feeds from blogs. For example,
> Josh's blog on bluga is a good regional source we should point out.
----
I think a blog section would be good - especially for opinions on open
source software/implementations/proselytization, etc. - not necessarily
hard information.
----

> > I hate to come off as negative because I don't want to discourage anyone
> > nor diminish their efforts.
>
> Pointing out deficiencies is fine. I hope, of course, that you and others
> will help us overcome them and build a more active and wider reaching PLUG
> community :).
----
I am about to 'go live' with a large section of ruby on rails
development for a non-profit. If I get the time, I intend to replace the
development data with some junk data (HIPAA concerns, etc.) and then I
could demo a wide ranging Web 2.0 application which I would expect would
be of interest to some...perhaps a month away.

Craig