Linux Computer Names not found

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 22:11:49 MST 2006

Whether I look at the DHCP Clients Table on my Linksys WRT54G, a Network
Neighborhood window in XP, a nbtstat -c or net view command result in a
command window, or a servers list in Ubuntu I only see names for my Windows
boxes and my TiVo unit.  The Linux boxes show up in the DHCP client list of
course but sans any name at all.  I can ping the windows boxes by name from
another windows box but not from Linux.

1) What makes the router recognize the box names for clients other than
Linux?  Can something in Linux be configured so the router knows their
names?

2) I am guessing that the windows ping command gets box names from something
other than DNS or the HOSTS file.  Anyone know what?  Or if Linux is using
that ability (via Samba?) to find the Windows Network boxes?  Could that
facility be used to make the Linux box names known to Windows boxes?
and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss